Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Toad Tale From An Old Friend

That same friend who lives in Minnysoda also told me a tale about his grandfather (which brought tears to my big sad eyes):

"I was thinking about a nice toad or two to sit on the flat rock I propped on the edge (of my "water feature") to give the birds and critters access. For years my namesake grandfather had a large toad he dubbed Molly. Molly? Anyway they had a dripping outdoor faucet beneath their bedroom window. The enormous toad would sit under it to stay cool. Grandma said she went to sleep to the thump... thump...thump of the waterdrops hitting the big toad on the back. Grandpa would pick up the old toad in the morning and take it out to the garden while he worked. He hoed; the old toad ate slugs. When he was done he'd pick it up and drop it off under the tap on his way to the kitchen."

Photo By Travis Child

Wish I would have known that old grandpa (and Molly too!). At least some humans treat us toads with the respect we deserve.

###

1 comment:

  1. All I can say to all of this sweet talk is that my Grandfather was the finest man I ever knew.

    ReplyDelete